Welcoming a new wave of teachers

Zoe Bowman

Mr. Tu

• Been teaching for two years, but you are always teaching in life, so I could be teaching longer than that.
  • Teaching wasn’t my first choice when entering college, but I’ve always liked teaching and helping others. I decided to go into teaching because I wanted to have a direct impact on the community.
  • Everyone is so nice at Laguna Beach, and I like the fact that it is a small community. Everyone knows each other, so it feels like a big family.
  • I’ve taught in other districts before, and Laguna Beach is very college driven. Students have so many different passions besides academics and there are so many resources and opportunities available for you guys.
  • Outside of school, I am pretty active and like doing different activities like basketball, swimming, running and muay thai. Hikes on the weekends are very soothing, and I like to do photography but haven’t had time to pick up the camera lately.
  • I enjoy all of my students’ different personalities and quirks.  I enjoy hearing about things my students are passionate about (if it’s school appropriate).
  • I look forward to getting to know more about my students and hopefully help them get a better understanding of math and be more confident in their abilities.
  • Some actives Mr. Tu like doing in his free time are basketball, swimming, running and muay thai, hiking and photography

Second year of teaching

Ms. Brinkmeyer

• This will be my fourth year of teaching.
  • I decided that I wanted to pursue teaching when I was in high school. I had teachers who had inspired me as a student, and I knew that I wanted to provide that same service as a positive role model to future generations. I also tutored throughout high school and very much enjoyed working together with students in their process of learning and being successful.
  • I really enjoy the students and parents here at Laguna. I’ve had such fun experiences getting to know my students and working with families to support them where I can.
  • Previously, I taught in Kansas City, Missouri (Go Chiefs). The school itself was different as it was all indoors to protect from snow and rain. The open outdoor campus concept is new to me…along with having to shoo away seagulls.
  • Outside of school, I try to spend as much time outdoors as possible with camping, running, biking, or just enjoying the consistent sunshine. I am a big baker and have trained in dance for the majority of my life.
  • I want my students to know thatI want them to be successful and that my door is always open.
  • I look forward to continuing learning about my students and building relationships with the staff here at Laguna.

Ms. Smith

• This is my tenth year teaching.
  • Education forms the basis for a great society.  Without a great education system, our society will fail to reach its potential.  I would like to be a part of a system that creates a long-term, positive impact on society.
  • The best part of teaching at Laguna is the students!  There are so many wonderful students here, and it is an honor to be a part of their education.
  • I previously taught at Canyon High School and Orange High School. The biggest difference is the size of the school.  It has been very different working at such a small school.
  • When I’m not working, some of my favorite things to do are: going to the movies, taking my dogs to the beach, spending time with my family and friends and I love drawing with Charcoal when I have the time.
  • Something I would like my students to know is that I am always here to help!
  • I am most looking forward to helping students be successful.  I hope that I can have a positive impact while I am here.