Girls water polo wins third CIF-Division 1 title in four years

Will Clark, Sports Editor

On Feb. 27, the LBHS girls water polo team faced off against San Marcos High School (Santa Barbara), for the Division-1 crown at the Woollett Aquatic Center in Irvine. After a hard-fought, defensive battle, the Breakers came out on top with a score of 6-2. The Breakers were led by senior Bella Baldridge with three goals. Baldridge was accompanied by single goals from senior Aria Fischer, junior Alex Perros and junior Sophia Lucas.

“I thought the atmosphere had a very high level of intensity, but it was also just really fun. We wanted to be focused going into the game while still staying loose so we wouldn’t get into our own heads. We just tried to get fired up and play as if none of our accomplishments earlier in the season mattered unless we won this game,” said junior goalie Thea Walsh.

The Breakers jumped to a quick 4-1 lead by the end of the first quarter, but their attack was stalled throughout the rest of the game. A late counter-attack goal from Baldridge sealed the LBHS victory. This game capped off the girls’ undefeated season with a record of 31-0 and awarded the LBHS girls water polo program its third Division-1 title in four years.

“This has been an incredible season. The girls have worked hard all year with one goal in mind: to win a CIF title. I am so happy and impressed by the girls’ determination and discipline throughout the season. I cannot say enough about their work ethic or about the incredible coaching from Ethan Damato and Trevor Lyle,” said assistant coach and LBHS alumnus Nathan McConnell.

A large, Laguna-friendly crowd full of current and past LBHS students enthusiastically cheered on the girls from start to finish.

“The game was awesome. Everyone in the crowd was super hyped during the entire game. It was so cool to see so many people supporting the girls team and watching them win CIF,” said sophomore Colton Gregory.

The Breakers include four graduating seniors: Claire Sonne, Angelique Begay, Bella Baldridge and Aria Fischer. These players will leave behind a legacy of consistent excellence for future teams to emulate.

“It was amazing to go undefeated and win CIF my senior year. I will always remember this team and the great memories we have made. It was truly a special team and a special year,” said Fischer.