Caught on camera

Caught on camera

Jamin Schwerner, Reporter

In response to multiple cases of vandalism and theft during the 2015-16 school year, security cameras have been installed throughout our school in order to prevent and catch future destructive acts and burglary as well as create a more secure environment.

Although the cameras are supposed to be a positive effort, some students are opposed to the use of security cameras. However, administration hopes to clarify that they are only viewed in the occurrence of a vandalism, theft or when the integrity of school safety has been compromised.

In one case, former students removed electrical boxes and wiring from on top of the band rooms.

“The damage done was both significant and costly,” said assistant principal Bob Billinger.

In addition to the destruction of property, many classrooms were vandalized during the same period of time last year. Desks, chairs and walls were covered in green paint in many of the science classrooms, yet no video evidence of the crimes exists.

“The cameras are now in place to monitor our campus in the event of a safety compromise or vandalism incident,” said Billinger.

The cameras are placed throughout the campus covering all high traffic areas. However, cameras are prohibited in bathrooms and locker rooms.

While the cameras are always on, they only record and save when there is movement in the camera’s area of view.

“The cameras are not meant to do any surveillance,” said Michael Morrison, the district’s chief of technology.

They are there simply to record footage of any illicit occurrences in or around the school.
Although the cameras are not monitored by law enforcement, the school can give permission to law enforcement if it becomes necessary during their investigation.

“Only principals and my department have access,” said Morrison, clearing concerns of outside parties viewing the contents of the cameras.

It is clear that the cameras were placed in order to protect property from damage. If not for earlier vandalism and thefts, these installations would have not been necessary.