Entire dance department connects on stage

Taylor Glenn, Photo Editor

PLEXUS (n): a network, as of nerves or blood vessels or any complex structure containing an intricate network of parts

On April 29-30, in the Artists Theatre, the Laguna Beach High School Dance Department put on a new performance,“Plexus,” embodying the interconnectedness of people and how we connect within the school.

“The theme for the show is loosely based on the idea of connections. We made a variety of dances that are connected to outside sources, such as time or fear. Students have been doing research for each of the topics associated with their routines, and the show is a presentation of what we have been working on since January,” said dance director Estee Carrizosa.

The show involved all levels of student dancers and the first ever Laguna Beach Dance Festival Scholarship pitch. The Laguna Beach Dance Festival, which takes place at the Festival of Arts, is going to select dancers that wish to study professional dance in college a scholarship to help them jumpstart their dancing career. The show includes 26 original pieces choreographed by students, staff and special guest professional dancers Leann Alduenda, Andrea Gise, Pauline Kyne and David Slaney. Eight pieces were choreographed by students. There also were videos of preparing for the show that were presented to the audience in between pieces to add to the overall experience. Students were encouraged to embody their pieces to give the show more thought-provoking aspects.

“Every show is different and reflective of the students who are currently studying in the program. Each student brings something new and unique to the mix, and I was excited for the audience to see everyone’s hard work,” said Carrizosa.

So much hard work was put into this performance, and you could definitely see all the effort on stage. For more concert information, follow @lbhsdance on social media and spread the word about the amazing performance using the hashtag #LBHSPlexus!