LBHS Theatre successfully puts on another production and heads to the Spirit of the MACY Awards

LBHS’ Cast of Mamma Mia ‘23 posing for a team photo radiating smiles. The theatre program previously participated in the award show but as of last year rejoined the program. 
(Dane Compton, Joe Joe Lieber, Jonah Goldstein, Felix Robbins, Mason Bruderer, Marco Calderon, Chris Hemley, Scarlett Wheaton, Luke Bruderer, TJ Simmons, Brooke Lattin, Luxy Bynum, Tash Denny, Amanda Nguyen. Breea Hobrecht, Maris Morgan, Soleil Farris, Catherine Jordan, and Claudette Basto)
LBHS’ Cast of Mamma Mia ‘23 posing for a team photo radiating smiles. The theatre program previously participated in the award show but as of last year rejoined the program. (Dane Compton, Joe Joe Lieber, Jonah Goldstein, Felix Robbins, Mason Bruderer, Marco Calderon, Chris Hemley, Scarlett Wheaton, Luke Bruderer, TJ Simmons, Brooke Lattin, Luxy Bynum, Tash Denny, Amanda Nguyen. Breea Hobrecht, Maris Morgan, Soleil Farris, Catherine Jordan, and Claudette Basto)
Meghan Marshall

The MACY Award Show is an annual award show dedicated to high school musical theatre in California. The fantastic award show takes place at the Cerritos Performing Arts Center, where high schools from all over the state gather to receive awards in categories such as acting, dancing, singing, set design, lighting, costumes, and so much more. 

“Not only is it an opportunity for students to be recognized for their hard work and talents, but going to the MACY awards helps to inspire us by watching other local high schools perform,” said English 11 and theatre teacher Meghan Marshall.

For many directors and performers, it is the one day of the year they look forward to and ensure they set their calendar for. Marshall shares her passion for participating in these awards shows: 

“My favorite memory from when I was in high school was traveling to the International Thespian Festival with my high school theatre troupe to compete and participate,” said Marshall. We made many friends worldwide, participated in fabulous workshops, and saw the world premiere of Heathers High School Edition.

Laguna Beach High School Theatre participated for its first year and received approximately 24 awards in all categories. This year, cast and crew express their interest in returning home on the bus with more than last year’s amount. 

“I think the end of the show is the most important part. We should get recognized. We did an excellent job blending all the ensembles and leads into one unified space utilizing facials and movement,” said ensemble member and senior Sydney Alexandar. 

It is shown on stage that the various ensemble and crew members spent hours on end making their show the best it can be, and it shines through clearly. From the lighting design, artistic ability, and character development work that actors put into the show, LBHS will inevitably see much more success in the future.

“My favorite part of our school’s theatre program is the people involved with cast and crew elements,” said ensemble member and junior Mason Bruderer. I hope to see more in store for the program for my senior year and beyond.