Four ASB members pose for a photo at the Hispanic Heritage Month fruit stand last October. ASB collaborated with LBHS Persian Club this month to bring more awareness to their culture club.
(Left to Right: Hayes Frith, Cady Dartez, Chloe Oloughlin, Riley Beason)
Four ASB members pose for a photo at the Hispanic Heritage Month fruit stand last October. ASB collaborated with LBHS Persian Club this month to bring more awareness to their culture club. (Left to Right: Hayes Frith, Cady Dartez, Chloe O’loughlin, Riley Beason)
Jennifer Lundblad

LBHS ASB engages with cultures throughout the 2023-2024 school year to celebrate heritage

As of this school year, Laguna Beach High School’s Associated Student Body coordinated a new tradition throughout the year that would highlight diversity and various minorities on campus. The new standing tradition is known as the Breaker Culture; the school community gets more insight into these communities that don’t get as much representation on campus. Some already added to the acknowledgment list include Hispanic, German, Jewish heritage, Chinese heritage, and many more to come in the following months. 

“Mrs. Lundblad pitched this idea, and we couldn’t have done it without her work and dedication,” said ASB Vice President Riley Beason

Through the ASB committees’ dedication as well, they were able to collaborate and collectively agree on plans for the entire year: 

“We came up with the Breaker Culture committee as a response to the student body giving input to ASB, saying that they would like to see more cultures represented and more of a variety of heritage celebrated from the events we hold on campus,” said Beason.

Each month, ASB gathers during their designated class time (4th period) to communicate the next step regarding the events, announcements, and creative concepts for promotion. So far, this schedule is starting slow due to the desire for momentum, but will increasingly become more consistent as the years progress. The class ensures student acceptance for all and never wants a student to feel uncomfortable or underrepresented in any shape or form. 

“I enjoy that Breaker Culture makes an effort to support and uplift one another through activities and resources constantly,” said senior Luke Harrison

Here is a quote from ASB’s Instagram post dedicated toward Hispanic Heritage Month and highlights two Hispanic individuals on campus, sharing their stories: 

Namoni Castellon (Hispanic & Asian) – In [my] Asian culture, they celebrate a female’s eighteenth birthday, called a debut. 

Olivia Brenes (Hispanic & Costa Rican) – [I enjoy] the traditional foods. Gallo pinto can be eaten with anything and is changed depending on the time of day consumed. 

It is expected that ASB will uphold this newfound tradition and integrate more representation into the Breaker Culture committee. For more information, you can visit ASB’s Instagram page or see what’s happening around campus through the numerous posters plastering the school’s interior. Get ready for ASB’s Persian New Year celebration in the quad, which is coming up soon! 

It’s a great day to be a Breaker.