The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Laguna Beach High School brings awareness to Suicide Prevention Month

Peer+Mentors+set+up+friendship+bracelet+booth+and+spinning+wheel+with+stickers+and+candy.+The+making+of+this+booth+was+to+bring+LBHS+students+together+as+a+community.+
Alexis Mele
Peer Mentor’s set up friendship bracelet booth and spinning wheel with stickers and candy. The making of this booth was to bring LBHS students together as a community.

September marks Suicide Prevention Month and September 10th was Suicide Prevention Day. LBHS has been making a great effort to make sure that no one is alone. The act of isolation is defined as separating oneself from others. In this case, many students distance themselves from the people they care significantly about due to intense and heightened symptoms of loneliness. Suicidal ideation is experienced in 20% of teenagers, while 9% act on these thoughts.  

Noticing symptoms of suicidal ideation decreases the stigma surrounding suicide and allows for all students to come together as a community.  Our school community is currently working on bringing awareness to when you see something, say something. This applies to situations involving students expressing mental health concerns or suicidal thoughts. While it is important to keep things confidential, confidentiality can only apply to situations that do not put yourself or someone else in harm’s way. Student safety and wellness is LBHS’ number one priority. Staff and students have been doing their part by hanging up posters, sticky notes, and creating activities for all. 

Warning signs for suicidal ideation can be broken down into categories of actions/behaviors and situations,” says LBHS Student Support Specialist Megan Humphreys. 

Some behaviors to look for include:

• Giving away prized possessions
  • Displaying unusual anger, depression, or agitation
  • Acquiring the means: guns, pills, etc.
  • Becoming suddenly interested in religion
  • Recurring mood swings
  • Increased substance abuse

One of the many resources here on campus is the Peer Mentor Program. The program strives for inclusion and is a free support for all students to get the help they deserve with student-on-student interaction to convey that no one is ever really alone in this world. 

“You can spread awareness and remove stigma by trying to make mental health associated with good things, not bad,” said 9th-grade LBHS Peer Mentor Audrey Calef. We could have more mental health days and include mental health activities in assemblies.

“First and foremost, come see your counselor,” said LBHS school counselor Mrs. Rosa. After that, we can connect you to the appropriate resource.

LBHS School Counselors are always here for support, so don’t be afraid to reach out to them; they truly understand what the struggling mind of a high school student is like. If you or anyone you know is in need of a Peer Mentor for mental or social support, here is their Instagram so you can get in touch with the team: @lbhspeermentors

“I think that the best way to spread awareness and remove stigma around this topic is just by talking about it,” said 12th-grade Peer Mentor Sydney Alexander. Stigma only continues when no one is brave enough to speak up about something.

If you are ever in need of immediate support, call 9-1-1.

Here are some other free resources to call if you or anyone you know who is experiencing suicidal thoughts or is thinking of attempting: 

• Suicide and Crisis Line – 9-8-8
  • Trevor Project (24/7 suicide hotline for LGBTQ+ youth) : 866-488-7386