CCA classes back

Christian Yates, Graphic Designer

This spring, CCA, or College and Career Advantage classes, are back at LBHS. These classes focus on expanding students’ interests by allowing them to do what they love through hands-on experiences.

CCA classes are a special type of Regional Occupational Program, or ROP, that offer specific training and experience in industries of interest. These classes are for students who have a passion for specific fields, such as law enforcement, robotics, aviation, medicine and more. Those who want to learn more about a specific field and career options are welcome. CCA classes use tools found in actual workplaces, such as Solidworks software, 3D printers and surgical equipment.

Although the courses are optional, they count towards a student’s overall GPA. Many of these classes are also articulated, meaning that they provide college credit for numerous California and out of state colleges. Another bonus is that articulated courses may only count for college credit if one gets an A or B grade; that means there is a sort of safety net in case the student doesn’t earn a higher grade. Many courses are also aligned with A-G requirements for CSU.  Additionally, a few colleges may consider these programs to be honors courses. These benefits may help students plan for their future educations.

“It makes your college planning infinitely easier, and more fun and more exciting,” said College and Career Specialist Ann Bergen, who oversees the implementation of this program.

The classes have a pathway system as well, meaning that one class may lead to a more advanced version of it.  Although not yet offered at Laguna, CCA through Capistrano Unified offers an exploratory wheel that allows students to sample various courses prior to pursuing them further.

In addition to the credit CCA classes offer, they also provide unique and intriguing experiences. For example, in Veterinary Technology, students may be able to participate in actual surgeries within their internships, and students who enroll in Introduction to Law Enforcement will solve an escape room. Many other opportunities like this are now available. These experiences are amazing for the individual, and not just on a personal level. CCA classes are great for college, as one may get the college credits, possible GPA boosts and experiences mentioned above. These advantages can help a student get into the field of his or her liking, which is what this program is all about.

“In the end, if you get to do what you like, and you’re good at it, that’s a pretty sweet deal,” said Bergen.

The programs available are listed on the college and career section of each student’s Haiku page, and pamphlets may be found in the College and Career Center. Any students who are interested are welcome to drop by the center to talk to Mrs. Bergen about options.