Categories:

“Echoes of Connection”: How People We Meet Shape Us

Since the beginning of our lives, we have interacted with people. From when we were little kids asking to pet someone’s dog to when we needed extensions on homework because we went to a friend’s house instead of doing it. Our conversations, gestures, and words affect people and ourselves in ways we would never notice.

What makes these interactions special is that it doesn’t matter if exchanges are just for a second or if they go on for years, the people you come in contact with shape you into the person you are today, were in the past, and will be in the future.  These individuals can change you forever, positively or negatively. 

Something as little as a slight wave or a “hi” could make a difference in someone’s life. Gestures like these can make someone’s day or change the way someone feels about you. For example, a simple, genuine smile or compliment can brighten someone’s day. When looking for a friend, you have to put into perspective who you would want to be more like because at the end of the day, “you are who you surround yourself with.” 

Everyone must experience hardships in one way or another in order to grow. Unfortunately, a lot of those are caused by other people’s neglect or just plain insecurities. Eventually, they find the friendships and others they want to latch onto, but it’s completely normal to struggle with friend groups, cliques, and uncomfortable situations. These people can teach you key life habits like how to have patience and resilience, but they can also expose you to values that you may not align with. While these interactions can be painful, they offer more insight to the people you want and it can develop your strength to speak up for yourself. 

I interviewed, Isabelle Coghill, a Laguna Beach High School student.  I started by asking her what it means to be a good friend. She says she appreciates when “they are kind, inclusive, and when they make sure you’re not left out of anything.” Another point Coghill made was that the people she likes to be around are “people that are willing to have your back and that you get along with immediately.” These people make her happy because she can spend time with them and have a genuine connection whenever they are around each other.

At the end of the day, your connections echo, so it is important to treat others well since it will benefit you in ways beyond those that are immediately seen.