Categories:

The Assisteens: Helping to Better Laguna

I have always admired people who use their talents and sacrifice their free time to help others. I recently had the opportunity to talk to Mia Yanes, the president of the Assisteens, a community service organization run by the Assistance League of Laguna Beach. This philanthropic group has been working tirelessly to help our town become a better place for over 60 years, and the members of the Assisteens carry on their legacy to help and support others.

This specific sector of the Assistance League comprises middle and high school students. Members can gain community service hours while also building connections with their peers and their environment, which is a message that Mia stresses repeatedly. She mentions how much more connected she felt to everyone and everything around her once she got involved in helping Laguna Beach. Mia’s excitement and passion to participate motivate everyone around her to put in the effort and extra hours to make a difference. “Even if the action is small, every little thing matters. Whether it’s a smile on someone’s face or attending a beach clean-up, any step toward making one’s community better is one worth taking,” Mia stated. To her, giving up her own time to help others is a privilege, and I hope her perspective touches everyone.

This year, Mia hopes to organize time for the Assisteens to volunteer at the local homeless shelter, animal shelter, and the Surfrider Foundation for beach clean-ups. In addition, she promotes work at the Assistance League thrift store to the other members. At this thrift store, all the profits go to donations to help children with Down Syndrome and their mothers. Volunteers can work in the back, take donations, or in the front at the cash register; every little bit of help matters. The Assisteens also support the Waymaker House in Laguna Beach, an organization that helps children who struggle with mental illness or abuse at home. There are many other programs that the Assistance League helps out at, and Mia hopes that their effort will help her and the other members better understand the community, not just in Laguna Beach but worldwide. The goal of the Assistance League is to grow further and encourage people worldwide to help out their community.

The impact of giving up time to give back to the community is much more significant than just picking up a couple of pieces of trash. When someone stops and slows down to help others and our community, their actions will reach everyone like a ripple effect throughout our town. I genuinely believe that Laguna Beach is a better place because of the Assistance League and the Assisteens’ work, creating a city that is connected to the people and everything around it.