Meet Mr. Rush!

This school year has had some significant changes with the bell schedules, dropping SDL, adding tutorial, and other key components. But with all the modifications, we have also gained a new staff member! Meet Mr. Bradley Rush, our new school psychologist! Mr. Rush has previously worked at Thurston Middle School, and he is now an LBHS staff member! As any new team member would, Mr. Rush will  face different challenges at the high school than at the middle school level.

“I worked at Thurston for 5 years before coming to LBHS this year.  As for the biggest difference, I would say the stress and anxiety involved with getting into college and taking (and passing) all the ‘right’ classes and scoring well on the ACT/SAT is so far the most notable difference to me.  Now that I am at LBHS, and knowing a fair amount of the student population from seeing them come up through Thurston, I hope to be a support in helping students become more interested in developing a happy and healthy outlook on their future and all the different possibilities available in an attempt to get away from that stress/anxiety that so many students seem to be feeling these days,” said Rush.

Mr. Rush was born in Orange, CA and moved to Palos Verdes, CA when he was four. Mr. Rush attended UCLA and earned a B.A. (Bachelor of Arts) degree in Psychology. He also earned a Minor in Applied Developmental Psychology. After graduating from UCLA, Rush attended Chapman University. After completing a three-year program, he earned a Master’s degree in Educational Psychology and an Ed.S (Education Specialist degree) in School Psychology along with his Pupil Personnel Services Credential in School Psychology. But, as every master knows, every tree must begin as a seed, and for Rush, he discovered his passion for psychology his freshman year of college.

“I took an Abnormal Psych class during my freshman year in college and found the subject matter to be absolutely fascinating. Then, I figured out that I could potentially help others should I get a degree in Psychology, and I was sold.”

As for Rush, he has some very inspiring goals at LBHS. Rush says he is a maximizer; he wants to work with the other staff members of LBHS to serve students and parents in the most positive school environment, along with improving the current structures and systems. Rush also considers himself a realtor, what this means is that he wants to form positive relationships with LBHS staff members, students and parents. Psychology nowadays is a big deal. Many students, and teenagers especially, struggle with numerous emotional and mental disorders, which is why it is so important to recognize these disorders early on to help one another out. If you or a friend is struggling with anything internally, Mr. Rush has some advice for you.

“Talk to someone. It may seem scary, or you may be unsure of what to do or say, but just talking to someone is an important first step in getting the support you need.”

Brush and Palette • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in