Seniors take on quarantine

Sydney Ekberg, Features Editor

Quarantine has undoubtedly caused quite a shift in all of our lives. From how we do school to how we stay connected to our friends and the outside world, this transition has definitely been a hard one. But I think it goes unsaid how much our seniors are suffering right now. With a lost prom and the unlikeliness of graduation in store for them, they have some added losses on top of the things we’ve all been dealing with. 

My friends and I won’t be able to go to our last Prom together… I feel less confident about AP tests…and I always feel a little worried because I don’t know when life will get back to ‘normal’,” says LBHS senior Morgan Falkowski. 

While most of us have next year to make up for the loss of time, these seniors had their last day of high school on March 12, a rainy Thursday that most people skipped. What was just supposed to be a three-day weekend turned into what seems like an infinite amount of time indoors (and going outside periodically, but even that has restrictions). 

“I, among many other students, had plans I wanted to act upon at the end of the year,” says senior Luka Habibi. 

A common saying I’ve heard throughout this time has been that “we were robbed”, and I don’t think anything could come close to being as accurate as that is. We were all robbed, some more than others. Robbed of memories and experiences, robbed of laughter and of smiles with our friends. We were robbed of things we take for granted, like fresh air and sunshine on our faces, being in a classroom with other human beings instead of sitting at our desks alone in our rooms. 

And yet, the class of 2020 has found the bright spots in what we thought was a lightless room, reaching out to each other and trying to find the positive.

“It’s given me a lot of time to think about what really mattered and didn’t matter about our lives,” says Habibi. 

They’ve taken the regulations put in place to protect us seriously and have formed a bond out of tragedy, uniting all of them for years to come.

“We all must do our part to respect each other’s decisions and trust each other to stay safe,” says Falkowski. 

Although all of us here on the Brush and Palette know how hard it is to stay inside and to social distance, please stay safe and keep others safe, too. By keeping at least six feet from others in public, wearing face masks and gloves, you could very well save someone’s life, or even your own. Stay safe and healthy, everyone, and we all wish you the very best.