Administration implements new schedule system

Mercer Janssen, PR Manager

On Breaker Day 2018, students arrived to find that they would receive their class lists without the specific teachers, room numbers or periods indicated. Students learned that their completed schedules would be available for viewing on Aeries, Aug. 31, the Friday before Labor Day weekend.

However, the changes caused some frustration among the students. Many were anxious about their class schedules and were unsure if the new schedule system would play out in their favor.

“Students should always assume we have positive intentions, and everything’s made to be more efficient for the students and administration,” said assistant principal Nikol King.

While the process allowed administration to determine class assignments and balance schedules more smoothly, some students voiced a complaint.

“I thought it wasn’t as exciting or as fun,” said senior Ellie Arthur, who preferred the prior system. In the past, schedules were handed out during Breaker Day along with textbooks. For some, receiving one’s schedule at Breaker Day, comparing schedules with classmates and running around finding classes were motivators to start the new school year.

“I’ve been here at Breaker Day in my classroom, and I have seen students out in the quad when they get their schedules, trying to change them get a free period. The problem with that isn’t so much that students shouldn’t get the classes they want. Rather, it affects how many students are in each class and [complicates] the master schedule, which is hundreds of hours of work,” said Spanish teacher and foreign language department chair Jim Garvey.  “The thing is that we all have to allow things to be out of our control. I don’t control every class I teach and student I get. I have to make the most out of every opportunity, and it shouldn’t be centered so much around the teacher rather the class you want to take.”

Students received a printed class schedule on the first day of school. In this way, the classes and periods on the sheet of paper were more precise than what they would have been had they been handed out on Breaker Day.

“We want to put students in the classes that they like and are happy in,” said King.  

The goal of the school was not to take away the fun but to make the process less complicated and stressful for all involved.

The effectiveness and appropriateness of this system is still under review regarding future years.

“In the beginning I was skeptical, but my schedule came together,” said sophomore Lucky Hauer.