Do the right thing…with technology

The current lack of balance displayed here can be seen in some classes today.

“Technology has become a part of our culture,” said Chief Technology Officer, Michael Morrison.

Technology was first used on a daily basis at LBHS starting around 2014; the one-on-one program replaced the technology carts that had been used previously. In May 2014, there were 5,000 shared documents. In the past 6 months, there have been 1.2 million shared documents. This increase in technology use has changed the way teachers teach, and how students learn and perform academically. The question remains: is there such thing as too much technology in the classroom?

I believe that we need to use technology as a tool for learning, as opposed to learning being a tool for using technology. It is important for educators to remember that there are times when technology does not need to be used. Not every book needs to be taught on StudySync. Sometimes, having a discussion in class can be more beneficial for students. Even if not every student is sharing their opinion, they are still listening to their peers’ ideas which encourages competitive creativity.

“We are trying to promote technology to help students understand what they are learning and not just as a checklist for the teachers,” said Morrison.