Brush and Palette

The Grinch steals the cinema

Tatiana Moore, Reporter

In 1957 Dr. Seuss published How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, a child’s story written in rhymed verse. This 53-year-old story has become a classic, standing the test of time. While exposing greed and commercialism, Dr. Seuss promotes the values of love and community.

Mr. Grinch, with a heart that is “two sizes too small,” lives in isolation with his loyal dog, Max. Residing atop snowy Mount Crumpit, the Grinch scolds the joyful town of Whoville while plotting to put an end to their merriment.

In 1966, the story was converted into an animated television special; in 2000, it was made into a live-action movie; now in 2018, we have a third rendition of the Christmas classic, a new animated movie, directed by Yarrow Cheney and Scott Mosier, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Cameron Seely and Pharrell Williams.

The Grinch, by Illumination Entertainment, is a film that can appeal to children and parents alike. Tyler Okonma, also known as Tyler the Creator, a musician with the reputation of being a little R-rated, has tried his hand in children’s music. Helping compose the soundtrack of The Grinch, Okonma was able to bring elements of hip-hop/rap, creating a modern sound for the classic story. The animation was merry and bright, while also keeping the dark essence of The Grinch in focus.

Whether you are being introduced to the realm of Whoville or you are revisiting your childhood, this film will enhance your holiday season. I highly recommend grabbing your loved ones and heading to the theater to see this Christmas film.