Brush and Palette

Student performers bolster holiday spirit

Katharina Schmidt, Reporter

Santa Claus is coming to town! Every first Friday in December, Laguna Beach celebrates Hospitality Night. This year, a brass ensemble of five students from LBHS (Jordan Sitea, Ryan Davison, Kenneth Chu, Zach Duncan, and Marc Eftimie) were a part of it.

“This is the second time we performed at hospitality night. Last year was our first time,” said Jordan Sitea, who plays the trumpet. The overall instrumentation of the ensemble included two trumpets, one french horn, one trombone and one tuba.

This event occurred in downtown Laguna Beach, along Forest Avenue. This year’s Hospitality Night took place on Friday, Dec. 7, from 5 – 10 p.m. Instead of beginning in front of City Hall this year, the festivities started in the Peppertree Parking Lot, where our students were performing, located between Ocean Avenue and Forest Avenue, across from Second Street, where Santa Claus was arriving to greet the guests before the tree lighting ceremony at 6:10 p.m.

“We were performing a variety of Christmas songs such as ‘You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch,’ ‘Carol of the Bells,’ ‘Baby it’s Cold Outside,’ ‘Santa Baby,’ ‘Frosty the Snowman,’ and ‘March from the Nutcracker’,” said Sitea.

Santa Claus arrived at his hut to listen to children’s Christmas wishes. Furthermore, live music was there the whole evening. All trees and shops were decorated with all kinds of lights and Christmas decoration. In addition, different organizations and communities, including churches, welcomed the people with cookies and hot chocolate. The whole city came together and everyone enjoyed the evening.

“I love the fact that this tradition is fully student-led and how we got full reign over the songs we got to play. It’s really special how every group that carries the tradition each year can change it up however they like,” said Marc Eftime, who plays the french horn.