Brush and Palette

A review of the midterm propositions

Yuika Yoshida, Opinions Editor

PROPOSITION 1

Authorizes the state to issue up to $4 billion in bonds for housing programs and veterans’ home loans.

Proponents: “California needs housing, especially for seniors and people with disabilities. It would help veterans to buy a home after serving.”

Opponents: “It would only provide housing for a small segment of the population, and would result in higher taxes from all of the borrowing.”

54.2% Voted Yes

45.8% Voted No

PROPOSITION 2

Authorizes the state to issue up to $2 billion in bonds for the new mental health housing program.

Proponents: “The best way to help someone with mental illness is to give them a place to live. It would cost the state nothing to provide housing for most at-risk residents.”

Opponents: “The county should make the decision when it comes to housing for people with severe mental illnesses. Prop 2 will help homebuilders instead of people with mental illnesses.”

61.3% Voted Yes

38.7% Voted No

PROPOSITION 3

Authorizes the state to issue up to $8.9 billion in bonds for water-related infrastructure and environmental projects.

Proponents: “Prop 3 would provide safe drinking water to millions of Californians, and prepare us for future droughts and floods.”

Opponents: “Too much money will be spent on parks, hiking trails, and wildlife.”

52.3% Voted No

47.7% Voted Yes

PROPOSITION 4

Authorizes the state to issue up to $1.5 billion in bonds for children’s hospitals.

Proponents: “Children’s hospitals care for California’s most needy children, regardless of their income. Prop 4 will help keep these hospitals up to date.”

Opponents: “Prop 4 will require the state to borrow money that it will have to pay back over many years. Instead of borrowing, California should improve healthcare overall.”

60.6% Voted Yes

39.4% Voted No

PROPOSITION 5

Expands the special property tax rules for homeowners who are 55 years or older, those with severe disabilities, and those whose homes have been affected by natural disaster. They would be allowed to keep paying a similar amount in property tax no matter where or how many times they move.

Proponents: “Prop 5 will help seniors and people with severe disabilities to move without having to pay higher taxes. When seniors move, more homes will be available for families with children.”

Opponents: “Less money would go to schools and public services. Prop 5 would help wealthy seniors, and do nothing to bring down the cost of rent or address homelessness.”

58.2% Voted No

41.8% Voted Yes

PROPOSITION 6

Repeals 2017’s fuel tax and vehicle fee increases and requires public vote on future increases.

Proponents: “Transportation taxes and fees are too high for low-income residents and working families. Voting yes would immediately lower the price of gasoline and the cost to register a vehicle.”

Opponents: “Transportation taxes and fees are paying for more than 6,500 projects throughout the state. The state will have less money to pay for important bridges and road repairs.”

55.3% Voted No

44.7% Voted Yes

PROPOSITION 7

Authorizes state lawmakers to vote on changing Daylight Saving Time. Lawmakers would be able to choose year-round Daylight Saving Time.

Proponents: “This change would reduce costs and increase work production.”

Opponents: “If the sun rises an hour later in the winter, this will have negative effects on schools, traffic and public safety.”

60% Voted Yes

40% Voted No

PROPOSITION 8

Limits how much dialysis clinics can charge for treatment. If clinics charge more than they are allowed, they would need to pay money back to patients’ insurance companies.

Proponents: “Prop 8 will stop dialysis clinics from overcharging patients. This measure will lower healthcare costs for all Californians.”

Opponents: “Prop 8 will force community dialysis clinics to cut services and close.”

61.4% Voted No

38.6% Voted Yes

PROPOSITION 9 (REMOVED FROM BALLOT)

Asks government to divide California into three states.

PROPOSITION 10

Allows local governments to make their own choices about rent control and regulations.

Proponents: “The high cost of rent is hurting seniors, families and low-income residents. Prop 10 would allow local communities to choose if they want rent control.”

Opponents: “Rent control will lead landlords to sell their property or stop renting. This will make rent even more expensive. Governments should not be able to tell single-family homeowners how much they can charge for rent.”

61.6% Voted No

38.4% Voted Yes

PROPOSITION 11

Allows ambulance providers to require workers to remain on-call during breaks paid at their regular rate.

Proponents: “Prop 11 protects public safety and makes sure that private ambulance companies can quickly respond to emergencies. Ambulance employees deserve more training and mental health supports.”

No argument against Prop 11 was submitted.

60.4% Voted Yes

39.6% Voted No

PROPOSITION 12

Bans sale of meat from animals confined in spaces below specific sizes.

Proponents: “It is cruel and unsafe to keep animals in small cages. Increasing cage size will reduce the risks of food poisoning and farm pollution.”

Opponents: “This measure does not go far enough to protect farm animals. Prop 12’s cage size rules would not be big enough for all types of egg-laying hens.”

61.1% Voted Yes

38.9% Voted No