Dr. Allemann: a lifelong student and composed administrator

Principal Dr. Allemann discusses possible college paths with junior Yuika Egan. Students and staff alike have found Allemann approachable and responsive to their needs and concerns.

Sidney Koziarz, Business Manager

Communicating effectively with parents, teachers and students while keeping a school running efficiently is a hard enough job, but when adding the challenges of politics and amplified feelings on top of a multitude of stressors, one can find it difficult to maintain a level-headed outlook on a subject. Principal Dr. Jason Allemann, however, manages to maintain his composure in even the most demanding situations.
Dr. Allemann has taken his new job in stride. His calm approach provides the staff and the student body with a sense of comfort. He genuinely enjoys his work, and in turn, the staff can’t help but to emulate his enthusiastic approach regarding their own jobs.
“Dr. Allemann is very personable, open-minded. He has wonderful leadership qualities. He inspires, innovates and listens,” said French teacher Odile Dewar.
Dr. Allemann strives to create a community that is open and accepting of all. His commitment to inclusion motivates the staff and helps students feel comfortable and validated when voicing their opinions in the face of authority. He implements his knowledge from past experiences and looks to his peers to make informed decisions in hopes of benefiting all those who are involved. In his administration, he makes the staff feel like their voices matter and that they are a part of a team, rather than employees executing orders. Dr. Allemann humbly admits that he is still learning in life and is not afraid to admit that he doesn’t know an answer. He perceives himself as more of a lifelong student rather than an administrator.
“I am always trying to be reflective in my work. I am always looking for ways to be better at my job and for ways to provide an optimal learning experience for students, and a lot of that is involved in talking to students and getting their feedback,” said Allemann.
How a community reacts to adversity makes or breaks it. Members and leaders in a community will either work together or turn against one another.
At times, clashes between students and administrators on local and national levels arise. In these moments, we are all on the same side and we shouldn’t let stress and rashness go against our better judgement.
Decisions like these typically have some type of repercussion, big or small. However, if one took an approach similar to Dr. Allemann’s, simply taking a moment to study the whole picture and then making an informed decision on the proper course of action, he or she would not only gain insight but a higher knowledge of the situation at hand. Dr. Allemann, according to those who work with him, understands when to be a leader and when to let others have a voice.
Administration is challenged to keep the whole school organized and running. They have to appease not only the students, and the expectations set for them nationally, but the administration must also work productively with teacher and parents, as well. School leaders have to think about every possible scenario and its outcome and decide whether or not a solution or policy is most beneficial to the student body; otherwise, there is inevitable push-back from passionate students and parents.
“Today’s administrator is faced with numerous challenges from a variety of sources day in and day out. Being able to accurately navigate a multitude of challenges at one time is a critical aspect of our job as we often make decisions that can impact many people,” said assistant principal Mr. Robert Billinger.
Teachers don’t have it any easier than students. On top of the piles on piles of assessments and assignments to grade, teachers struggle with balancing the variety of learning needs of students, respecting the expectations from administration and trying to help all of their students meet their long term goals. Teachers are inspired by Dr. Allemann’s charisma and experience and aim to remain calm and patient with the students and parents they are working with.
In this day and age, students are experiencing more stressors than ever before. The irrational expectation of perfection is a major pressure in today’s society. Teens are consistently being influenced by social media to conform to society. They not only have to manage their home lives, their education, their social lives and even their virtual lives on social media, but they manage these stressors all while trying to maintain their sanity. Not all are able to endure the pressure. The number of teens who experience mental illnesses or substance abuse is increasing along with these stressors. Luckily, our principal makes himself accessible to all those who are stressed. He makes sure everyone has a voice and aims to validate others’ perspectives. Dr. Allemann’s leadership sets a path towards a school environment that is all inclusive.
“Under Dr. Allemann’s guidance, our school has learned to be decisive. He is able to make choices when the need arises, and in the case of controversy, he guides our school towards acceptance.” said senior class president and ASB member Joseph Ravenna.
In challenging situations, not everyone is able to see past his own feelings and beliefs and comprehend the bigger picture. Keeping an open mind while staying calm and level headed, like Dr. Allemann, is a peaceful and a diplomatic approach to overcoming difficult situations.
“I don’t like to approach my job or work in conventional ways. I like to challenge myself to think from different perspectives, and in that way, I hope I am different,” said Allemann.