Scholarship season takes LBHS

Mia Imbernino, Features Editor

On Jan. 12, the Laguna Beach High School Scholarship Foundation (LBHSSF) began taking applications for this year’s graduating class. The unique scholarship program here started as a grassroots organization and has grown over the years through the combined efforts of community volunteers who serve on the Board of Directors of the Laguna Beach High School Scholarship Foundation. Since the 2013-2014 term, the LBHSSF has become an independent organization.

According to collegedata.com, the average cost of a four-year private U.S. college is $50,900 and continuously rising. The Laguna Beach High School Scholarship Foundation, a leader in student financial support nationwide, supports each year’s graduating class so that students who are driven and deserving can seek higher education.

“I think we’re very aware of the cost of education, so businesses and organizations like the Rotary Assistance League, they’re always reaching out to the youth of our community. I think it’s a huge testament to the strength of our community,” said LBHS scholarship and financial aid specialist Lynn Gregory.

Generous support from the community continues to grow, as the class of 2017 received approximately $6,000 more than the previous year. In total, 139 individuals received awards, and 131 scholarship sponsors awarded an impressive $380,975.

“The money our students are being awarded is coming from companies, local businesses and families right here in Laguna, which is very special. I continue to be moved by the generosity of our community and how invested they are in the lives of our students,” said Gregory.

The LBHSSF is also responsible for hosting the annual Honors Convocation in which financial donors meet with the selected seniors who applied and won scholarships.

“There’s nothing better than watching a kid cross that stage. It’s more than the money that they receiveit’s the validation that some individual read their essay, identified with them and chose them,” said Gregory.

There truly is a scholarship for everyone, whether you’re attending a four-year university or a community college. Scholarships are given by local organizations like the Boys and Girls Club, Friends of the Laguna Library, The Laguna Beach Business Club, the Laguna Beach Garden Club, Laguna Beach Live!, Rotary Club of Laguna Beach, and the Woman’s Club, among many others. There is even an “I love Laguna” Scholarship offered.

“I’m so grateful to be a part of a community that invests so much in its students,” said LBHS senior Shiloah Tester, who will be applying for 13 different scholarships. “It’s great to know that people giving back want to see us succeed.”