Cheer coach Yvette Ross departs, but team’s spirits remain high

On Tuesday, March 21, the cheer team held a baby shower for departing coach Yvette Ross. With her baby due May 5, Ross will go on maternity leave in early April.

Zoe Bowman

Zoe Bowman, Business Manager

Next school year, Yvette Ross (formerly Kelly) will be leaving the cheer program to dedicate more time to her baby girl, who is due this May. Ross has been the head cheer coach and advisor to the cheer team for the past five years.

“I am so fortunate, as I have had the opportunity to work both under Yvette as a team member during my senior year at Laguna Beach High School and alongside her as a coach for the 2016-2017 season,” said assistant coach and alumnus Mollie Khachadoorian.

Ross has brought great things to the cheer team the last five years. Ten years ago, the team consisted of only three people, and under Ross’s leadership, the program reached its peak of 18 cheerleaders during the 2015-16 year.

Ross has also advanced the team with more difficult and eccentric stunts and routines.

“When I joined the cheer team my freshman year, I remember the seniors telling us how much Yvette had changed the program. Yvette has shaped us into a stronger team, and she created a stronger bond between everyone,” said senior cheerleader Lydia Steinhoff.

In addition to providing inspiring leadership as a coach, Ross also became a dear friend to the cheerleaders. Ross has always emphasized that she was there to help. When sophomore Makayla Klug had a seizure during cheer camp in Palm Springs this summer, Ross was able to stay with her at the hospital the whole time, even after the parents had arrived.

“She’s been really understanding about my medical problems, and she still makes sure I’m as much a part of the team as anyone else,” said Klug.

At cheer camp this year, four girls earned the All American Award, which invited them to perform either at the London New Year’s Day Parade or at the Rose Bowl.

“Getting the All American was an amazing honor. I am so thankful for having such an amazing coach for training me and helping me become a more talented cheerleader,” said senior cheerleader Chloe Flora.

After Ross leaves the cheer program, she is still going to continue being the student activities director and community service coordinator.

“Not only are we a team; we are also a family. We are going to miss Yvette so much once she is no longer coach, but her legacy will stay with us,” said Steinhoff.

The athletic department has interviewed candidates for a new advisor and a new head coach, but final decisions have not yet been determined.  

“I may no longer be the cheer coach, but the girls will always be my cheer family,” said Ross.

Full version for web:

Ross became the coach after now English teacher Sarah Benson stepped down to begin a family of her own.

Ross will begin maternity leave in early April.

In addition to providing inspiring leadership as a coach, Ross also became a dear friend to all of the team members. While some of the girls went through troubling times, Ross always emphasized that she was there to help them out. When sophomore Makayla Klug had a seizure during cheer camp in Palm Springs this summer, Ross was able to stay with her at the hospital the whole time, even after the parents had arrived.

Even though it sometimes feels that the cheer team goes unrecognized at LBHS, Ross has made it possible for the girls to win numerous awards. At cheer camp this year, four girls earned the All American Award, which invited them to perform either at the London New Year’s Day Parade or at the Rose Bowl.