College Roundup presents an array of options

The Princeton Review

College and Career Center Specialist Ann Bergen with senior Vice President of The Princeton Review Rob Franek.

On Oct. 12, representatives from more than 148 colleges, universities and military academies attended College Roundup in the Dugger Gym. Students and parents were invited to interact with the school representatives and learn more about the opportunities available after high school. Before the gym event, Rob Franek, publisher and senior vice president of the college admission services company, The Princeton Review, spoke about college preparation in the Artists’ Theatre. Franek has written several books, including The Best 381 Colleges, has published articles in newspapers including The Wall Street Journal and has been featured on Good Morning America, The Today Show and CNN.

Franek made a point about why many popular colleges are difficult to get into: because they’re popular. He asked students to write down their top three schools they want to apply to.

“Cross out the names of the schools I mention if they’re on your list,” he said, then named in rapid succession 25 top-of-mind schools. “This is why those schools can be so selective,” said Franek. “So many of you are applying to them, they can afford to be picky!” He emphasized that there are thousands of little-known U.S. colleges and universities that could be a student’s ideal match. “It takes research,” he said, “to find and investigate those institutions.”

Perspectives on college change as students progress through their high school years.

“I got most of my college applications done over the summer, and now the only thing I have to stress about is keeping my grades up. Knowing that I already have been admitted to multiple schools within a few weeks of the start of school is very relieving and motivating,” said senior Ryan Meisberger.

“I’m not very concerned about college, because I know I will get in somewhere, and that anywhere I go I will have fun,” said sophomore Ayrton Garcia.

Franek provided information about how to find a student’s “best-fit” college. He noted that most students who started early and carefully analyzed the type of school that most appealed to them largely had positive college selection outcomes.