Why are the PSAT and PACT important for our futures?

Lucas Austin, Graphic Designer

On Wednesday, Oct. 19, LBHS provided students with a chance to take practice standardized exams. These tests were a great opportunity to experience the testing environment and for students to figure out what areas they need to improve on for the actual exam. Below are some of the defining qualities of the tests each grade level took:

Freshmen- Practice SAT 8-9

• Scored on a 20-80 scale, instead of 200-800
  • 1 hour shorter than the SAT, at 2 hours and 45 minutes, and with breaks
  • Does not include Algebra II curriculum
  • Tests students in Math, Critical Reading, and Writing Skills
  • No essay portion of test
  • Max score of 240

Sophomores- Practice ACT

• Closely mirrors ACT
  • 2 hours and 45 minutes
  • No essay portion of test
  • Tests students in English, Math, Reading, and Science
  • Graded on scale of 1 to 36, like the real ACT

Juniors- Practice SAT (Full version)

• More challenging than 8-9 PSAT
  • Includes harder math like geometry, trigonometry, reading passages designed for 11th  graders
  • Test takers can qualify for National Merit Scholarship if they score above a certain level -on the PSAT, as well as the SAT

LBHS is fortunate to have the resources to supply tests to all of their students. Other high schools around the U.S. are typically only able to offer the PSAT to their juniors for a fee.

“At Dana Hills High School, all their juniors took the PSAT, but they didn’t test their ninth and tenth graders,” said counselor Nicole Rosa. “Most districts can’t afford to test all their students.”

Although PSAT and PACT scores won’t be available for colleges to see, the scores can still benefit students’ futures. Students who score high enough on the pre-tests are eligible for a nation-wide competition. The National Merit Society allows top students to compete at a state and national level, with the possibility of students receiving scholarship opportunities. Students who don’t become finalists still get their participation recorded on their transcript—which can impress colleges. Additionally, the PSAT provides a prediction score for the real exam. A score report will be provided that shows all the questions on the test and an answer sheet of the correct answers, along with a PACT test booklet.

Counselors also hold a junior conference, where juniors are given a chance to analyze their test scores with their counselor to determine which test—SAT or ACT—is a better fit for them and how they can improve their weaknesses.

Scores for the three tests will be available for students on a “Scores Back” night, some time in January. At this event, students will receive their test scores, and counselors will help parents and students interpret the scores.

If you didn’t achieve your desired test score, Revolutionpre.com provides a free mock SAT and ACT for students to take anytime.

It is highly recommended that students take these opportunities to improve, as their standardized test scores are considerable factors in determining their collegiate futures.